Tuesday, March 23, 2010

More Painting

I wish I had more before pictures when we moved in here 4yrs ago, but let me try to explain and give you a visual. The kitchen cabinets were mostly hunter green. The lazy susan was blue, the shelf above the microwave was red and the wine rack and cabinets beside it were also blue. The back splash tile was red, yellow and blue, so ugly. One wall where the bar stools were had a corrugated metal wall, think chicken coop roof? Rooster curtains on the window and a faux wooden fence with chicken wire went all the way around above the cabinets like a border. I didn't have the money or the patience to redo the whole back splash so I spray painted them with Kilz and it worked. I had a few extra tiles in the garage along with more green paint and I experimented with different spray paints and I found that the Kilz both adhered and did not peel or chip off. We taped everything and it turned out great. At this point, I was so happy it was not multicolored that I just decided to use the extra paint and just make all the cabinets green. Not my first choice at all, but the counter tops and the grout in the floor tile were also green, so I kinda just went with it. You can see the bright white tile back splash in these before pics.





Fast forward 4yrs and I'm still not happy with the green. I found a really pretty French Roast/Espresso brown color. Jonathan went out of town again for work and the best thing for me is to be busy with a task so I don't miss him too terribly. It came out so beautiful. He was so happy and his jaw just dropped when he walked in. The hardware was already updated to this nickel finish, but it looked like new hardware with the updated paint color. Now, I just need to decorate some more and change my bar stools or paint them, any ideas on a color?







I also updated a few other things with spray paint and that has been fun. I spray painted the blades on my ceiling fan. Faux blonde to espresso brown. I did not wear gloves and man it lasted for a few days on my hands. The next time, I did and it was so much easier with clean up. I also spray painted a laundry basket that I decided to use for my bread basket. We have a lot of bread at any given time, so this was nice for our big family.




I spray painted the heater vent too and added a new rug under our dining table. Stacie, also a Goodwill regular spotted this for $50 bucks and picked it up for me. It's a HUGE 8x10 chocolate brown shag rug. It still had all of the packaging on from Walmart. I looked it up online and brand new it would have cost almost $150. I LOVE it under our dining room table. It actually hides little crumbs quite well, the ones that Duke doesn't come by and pick up. It adds so much to the room. I had one previously that was a cheap, low pile berber that didn't even fit under the whole table. Next project is the large terracotta colored wall in our living room. Another painting project I haven't wanted to tackle because the ceiling is vaulted and quite high. Need a different color, not sure what to go with yet, but need to brighten the living area. Suggestions welcome :)




Total Cost:
Behr Premium Paint Primer & Paint in one $30
1 can of spray paint $3.44
1 rug $50

5 comments:

kimberly said...

VERY nice Amy, I love the color of the cabinets....now can you and your friend find me a khaki colored shag carpet like your choc. one? I have been looking around and would love to find a great deal. ;-) You do great work girl.

Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous, girl! Very impressed with your resourcefulness and creativity.

Melissa S.

Cindy said...

I just remember when you first moved in and how far you have come from the chicken wire country kitchen. I love the new color. What a huge difference. Love the brown rug. What a lift is always is to get new paint. Fabulous.

Karen said...

You are so frugal and you always blow me away with the great deals you find! Way to go - it all look FANTASTIC

Ros said...

Your blog is just SO inspiring as to what you can accomplish without spending a fortune! You better watch out - you are doing such a fantastic job when Jonathon is out of town, he might start going more often!