Sunday, May 9, 2010

New Sectional

Jonathan went to China for 2 weeks with his work and I decided it was time to tackle a few more projects around the house. It's really fun and keeps me from missing him so much.

Again, doing some things that we haven't done for 4yrs while living here. I don't know, maybe I was busy having babies or something :) Here are some before pics when we first bought the house. Alot of things needed to be changed, but hey, it was a house with 5bd, 3baths, so we were happy with the size and location and figured we would work with it.

One of my first items on the list was a comfy sectional for our family room in the basement. I've had my eye out on Craigslist for over a year and last year I found one in the free section. Picked it up, shampooed it and we've used it. Not thrilled with the 80's style fabric and sizing. It was so little. You can see my coffee table/ottoman looks huge next to it. My biggest problem has been finding a sectional that would come in pieces. We have this long, narrow stairway with a sharp turn at the bottom, so we were really limited in furniture that would go down there, even a loveseat wouldn't fit. Explanation on the first picture :) The first day after daddy left Jack wasn't too happy, didn't know how to express his sadness and out of frustration with something he threw 32 ounces of vanilla yogurt down the stairs. Now you can see how narrow the stairway is.


So here is my sectional before:



Then I found a sectional that I just loved on Craigslist that came in 4 pieces, HUGE factor. She was asking $400 and I know she could have asked for at least $800, they go for alot even used on CL. I was the first one to email her and I set up an appt to go see it. Stacie came over to help me tag for Munchkin Market and we didn't really tag that day, she helped while I was gone, but she cared for all 6 of mine and her 18 month old, while 37 weeks preggo, what a great friend I have. I take out the rear seat in the Suburban, empty out carseats and I'm off. LOVE it, of course take 2 pieces home, unload it and then go get the other 2 pieces and unload that. This is me and another mom that was selling it. I tell ya, when there's a will, there is a way and I wanted the couch. I came home and thought, I gotta sell mine. I put it on CL for $400 and within 2 hours it was sold. How's that for an upgrade. Here is my beautiful new sectional.


I also really needed to see if it would actually fit downstairs, because if it didn't, I did not want to sell the other one and be left with no seating. So I tried to get the corner piece down the stairs and I did it. Yes, now the heavy recliner pieces. I recruited my 15yr old neighbor girl and she helped me get the other 3 pieces down. Did not have much trouble at all, except the chaise lounge part. That got stuck in the door and then we had to push it back in the hall and try again, but we did it. YAY! The last photo you can see the big black SuperSac Lovesac, another freebie on CL that we LOVE, so comfy. I had to take our futon out, but I found a good spot in our newly shared office, perfect as a guest bed when needed.




2 comments:

Cindy said...

flHow fabulous! One time, Tricia Harbach and I were trying to paint Monnie's house before she came home from China. We moved the dining room table and got it stuck in the doorway. Someone had to come and rescue us. I don't remember who. It looks just gorgeous. Hope you have saved all pictures of the maturing of the basement. You did it again.
Love you,
Mississippi

Ros said...

All I can say is wow!